Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mayonnaise Roasted Turkey Breast with Smashed Potatoes and Garlic Mushrooms

Is it ironic that the day I write a post titled with the word "mayonnaise" is also the day that I hire a personal trainer?  I think yes.

In my defense, the mayonnaise was low fat.

And I'm hoping that my trainer will make me low fat, too.  I actually have experience working with a personal trainer.  It was about 3 years ago and I was super excited to get buff and told my trainer that I wanted him to work me out hard and not to take any mercy on me.  I told him I could handle it and that I didn't want any pansy workout.  Big mistake.  BIG!  I specifically remember asking him if it was normal that I tasted blood (allegedly its totally normal, which I still don't believe).  I also had to sit in my car when it was over, whimpering for like 20 minutes before I could drive home.  I couldn't lift my arms high enough to steer the wheel.  I also may have stopped at Chipotle on the way home, but THAT is not the point here.

The point is that this time, I think I will have my trainer ease me into things a little bit more so I don't throw myself off the roof after the first session.  I'm still going to work hard, but I'm also hoping I'm able to drive home...wish me luck!


Anywhooo, as part of an overall effort to eat healthier food in conjunction with being tortured by a red-shirted Gold's Gym employee, I made this here turkey breast.  I wish I had taken it out before the popper thingy popped up, but it was still really tasty.  And the garlic roasted mushrooms and smashed potatoes (I omitted the blue cheese and chives) were the perfect compliment.  Enjoy!




Mayonnaise Roasted Turkey
Source: adapted from
She Wears Many Hats

1 2-3 pound turkey breast (fresh, or thawed if it was frozen)
3-4 fresh sage leaves, rough chopped
3-4 fresh thyme stems, leaves removed and chopped
2 springs of rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
2-3 springs of oregano (I used about 1 tbsp. dried)
1/2 cup of mayonnaise (I used low fat)
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1 tablespoon pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp butter, unsalted

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Lay turkey breast in a roasting pan.

Melt the butter in a dish and add sage, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and mayonnaise; combine well. Rub mayonnaise/butter/herb mixture all over outside of the turkey breast.

Liberally salt and pepper turkey.

Roast turkey in 450°F oven for 20 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 350°F.  Continue roasting, uncovered, until internal thermometer reaches 160°F.

Remove from oven. Cover with foil and let rest for about 20 minutes before carving.

No comments:

Post a Comment