Friday, March 9, 2012

Blue Cheese Stuffed Burgers with Oven Fries

I never though I'd be one to say something like this, but how on earth is it Friday already?  When I used to not like my job, the days and weeks would drag by, and I was astounded that time could move so slowly.  Now that I have a job I love, Friday is here before I even realize it.  And before I realize its been several days since I've updated this here blog.

So here we are, Friday night.  I'm wearing my comfy clothes (they are cute, I tell ya.  My husband would concur....if he had a gun to his head), and I have my wine and a pile of blogs to get caught up on.  Its pure bliss.  And also completely wild and crazy, believe that.  When did I get so old?

Anyway - I'm off to Chicago tomorrow to shop and drink work and soak up the culture.  Its one of my favorite cities in the world, and I've missed it dearly.  I'll be back next week, with some tasty recipes like red beans and rice and short rib bolognese.  Count on it.


As for the blue cheese stuffed burgers with oven fries, I'll admit that I did not make them.  They were Lauren's creation for the Friday Night Dinner Crew.  I'm not sure I even made a side or a dessert or anything.  My excuse was that I had just gotten off a plane like 2 hours before dinner started.  Or, something like that.  I did supply the wine, though.

Its impossible to go wrong when you stuff meat with cheese, so I won't go on and on about how good these were.  Because, really?  How could they not be?  Enjoy!





Blue Cheese Stuffed Burgers with Oven Fries
Source: Lauren, inspired by Cooks Illustrated

For the Burgers
2 lbs Ground Beef (80/20 is best, but use whatever you're comfortable with)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste

1 tbsp of Lea & Perrins
2 eggs
4-6 oz blue cheese (use the kind in a block, as nice as you can afford, and crumble it yourself)


Toppings:
6-7 slices bacon, cooked until crisp
2 avocados, sliced
ketchup, mustard, and mayo (if you please)

Heat outdoor grill to medium high.

Add the ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, Lea & Perrins, eggs and salt and pepper, to taste, to a large mixing bowl and mix well with your hands.  Divide the ground beef mixture into 10 equal-sized balls and flatten them into patties. Put 1-2 oz of blue cheese in the middle of 5 of the patties and cover each with another patty. Pinch the edges to seal the patties closed, so the cheese will not melt out.

Grill on medium-high until up to temperature.  For medium, its about 3-5 minutes each side.

serve on toasted buns with the bacon, avocado, and condiments of your choosing.  Enjoy!


For the Oven Fries:
4 russet potatoes, cut into thin strips
tbsp vegetable/canola oil
salt, pepper
paprika (If you have Emerils Essence this is actually preferable)


Cut the potatoes into thin strips and place in a large bowl.  Add oil and toss well.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and heat in the microwave on high for 5 minutes.  This is a way to parboil the potatoes before putting them in the oven.  This will help them get a nice crispy texture without being burned on the outside.  Transfer potatoes to a baking sheet sprinkle with salt and pepper then finish the potatoes off under a high boiler.  This should take about 12 - 15 minutes depending on your desired crispiness. As soon as you take them out of the oven, sprinkle them again with salt pepper and paprika (or Emeril's essence)

No comments:

Post a Comment