Sunday, February 24, 2013

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

I've decided that I'm going to stop making up new excuses about why I'm so bad about keeping up with the blog.  You know the drill....I've been traveling for work, I don't cook very much when I'm only home for a couple of days, yada yada, so on and so forth.

But my husband hasn't starved to death yet, and something must be working because I've lost over 40 pounds since I started trying back in September.  Not too shabby if I do say so myself.  Even my feet have gotten smaller, and you KNOW what that means.  There are so many shoes in the world who want to come live with me in my house and it's been very difficult to tell any of them no.  And why should I?  This is a happy time, people!  It's not a time to reject any of the beautiful shoes in the world.

Anyway!  This soup probably isn't the best thing to eat in order to lose weight, but you have permission to have a little bowl.  Each day.  Because it's pretty darn delicious.  Again, if I do say myself.

Enjoy!



Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Source: Adapted from Live Love Pasta

8 slices of bacon, diced
1 onion, diced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
½ cup all purpose flour
3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
5 potatoes, baked, peeled and diced
2 cups half & half
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup sour cream
Salt & pepper to taste


Garnishes
Additional bacon, crumbled

Small bunch scallions, chopped
Chives, chopped
Sour Cream
Shredded Cheddar cheese


In a Dutch oven cook bacon until crisp; remove and crumble; set aside.

Then cook the onions on medium heat in the bacon drippings plus the olive oil until tender. Once tender stir in flour and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add chicken broth; cook, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Put in the diced potatoes and half & half.

Continue to cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes and stir in the cheese and sour cream. Garnish with the bacon, chives, additional cheese, and sour cream if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment