Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Tale of Two Furry Terrors

Remember when I posted about wanting to learn to play golf, and how, on my first try, I realized I was pretty hopeless absolutely, laughably horrible?  Well, I am still just as bad, so when my husband got invited to a golfing trip in Myrtle Beach, I decided to pass on that and stay home with my puppy.  And I offered to babysit my niece puppy, too, since her parents are also golfers.  Both pups are horribly cute and loveable.  By themselves.  Like, independently of one another.  Together?  There are no words to describe the mayhem the two of them implemented in my house for the last 4 days.  I haven't slept for more than 2 hours at a time, and the noises that come out of those little bodies when they are not happy in their crates is ear-piercing and makes me want to throw myself off the roof.  There are no less than a dozen toys strewn around the living room and the backyard.  But what do they do?  Fight over the same one all day long.  After 5 minutes out of their crates, both of them are drenched in saliva and I'm shocked there's only been one case of bloodshed (and it was MY blood, thank you very much).  They distract one another so no one ever manages to complete the main purpose of trips outside, which is to go potty.  If I take them out separately, I can hear the howls of the other one from outside with the doors and windows closed.  I feel terrible for my neighbors, who are probably tired of my around the clock shouts of "LADIES!  PLAY NICE!, "Go potty!  NO, go potty OUTSIDE!", "Let's go inside!", "Who wants a TREAT!?!?", and "LORD HELP ME" (that part isn't yelled, its under my breath, right before a quiet whimper).

Lola's Daddy and Sadie's parents will be home in exactly 8 hours.  Not that I'm counting down or anything.  I love both puppies dearly, but at 11 weeks and 14 weeks, I can't handle the 2-on-1 for much longer.  I can't wait for someone else to watch the little terrors while I take the most epic nap in the history of the world.

Needless to say, I haven't been cooking ANYTHING since Wednesday.  If I tried, one of them would probably take a flying leap into the oven when I wasn't looking.  Thankfully, its restaurant week in my city, so I've been able to throw them pups in their crates for a couple of hours (I can't hear them howl if I'm not home!) and have a nice meal (and some much needed WINE) with friends a couple of times.  I've indulged in seafood cakes, scallops with truffle oil, key lime pie, the best leg of lamb I've ever had, and bourbon bread pudding.  So there is a silver lining to my long (oh so long) weekend.

Here are the furry terrors.  They look cute, right?  Mmm hmmm.  Want to babysit?  We're going to the beach in June and there are no dogs allowed!




1 comment:

  1. Oh my, what's it going to be like when there's human babies around! Worries me too.

    ReplyDelete