Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Very Special Potluck. And Yogurt Chicken.

How cool is this?  Evidently, my husband's co-workers read my blog (Hi guys!!!).  Presumably the blog reading is occurring AT work, but what these people do with their internet time is none of my business (but judging from the number of YouTube videos that my dear husband has seen and wants me to watch when he gets home, I have to deduct that their place of work has a fairly liberal internet policy).  If my blog is ever  blocked at a big company, I totally want to know because that means that I've MADE IT, and that my humor has finally once again crossed the line.

Often, my husband will come home with stories about various comments people have made about the blog and what kinds of things they demand suggest I make next.  And as much as he hates to see my big head get bigger, he's admitted that his work friends think I am funny (because I AM!).  I feel like now I know all of these folks, even though I've only met a few of them (I'm waiting for the next happy hour invitation ANY DAY NOW....), and I get so excited when he tells me someone liked a post they read on my blog.  It seriously makes my day.

So anyway, tomorrow there is a potluck lunch at my husband's place of work (I'll refrain from naming said place of work, so karma doesn't cause their HR department to start taking interest in employees' internet activities).  I was so excited about cooking his contribution to the event until I heard there was no oven involved.  Totally throws a wrench in the meatball sliders I was going to make from scratch (sorry guys).  So I had to come up with something that can be made the night before (because, although I love this man and love his co-workers, I'm not getting up at 4 AM for a potluck I don't even get to enjoy).  So I got inspired by cream cheese and made a dip and a summer veggie pizza.  I just finished making them, and they look amazing.  If they suck tomorrow, its because Andrew somehow messed up the transport and presentation.  I'm just saying.

Anyway, I hope the co-workers enjoy.  And I hope they keep reading and giving me suggestions.  In fact, I'll make them a deal....send me a recipe that you'd like to see on the blog, and I'll give you a juicy tidbit of gossip about Andrew.  I promise it'll be good!  And I promise it'll be true.  Mostly true.  Probably true.  Or, at least true according to me.


After finishing the potluck contributions, I got started on dinner for the night....crispy yogurt chicken with corn on the cob and roasted brussels sprouts.  I was so excited that it was finished while there was still natural light outside....the pictures come out SO much better that way.  Summer is a food blogger's dream come true, I guess.




Garden Veggie Pizza Squares
Source: AllRecipes

1 (8 ounce) package refrigerated crescent rolls
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (1 ounce) package Ranch-style dressing mix
2 carrots, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup fresh broccoli, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green onions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F 

Roll out crescent rolls onto a large non-stick baking sheet. Stretch and flatten to form a single rectangular shape on the baking sheet. Bake 11 to 13 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Allow to cool.

Place cream cheese in a bowl.  Mix cream cheese with 1/2 of the ranch dressing mix.  Spread the mixture over the cooled crust.  Arrange veggies on top and chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.  Cut into small squares and serve.





Crispy Yogurt Chicken
Source: Adapted from The Pioneer Woman

2 cups Plain, Unflavored Yogurt
2 cloves (to 3 Cloves) Garlic
Parsley, To Taste
1 whole (juice Of) Lemon
Chicken Legs (I used boneless, skinless breasts)
Salt To Taste
2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
Butter (1 Pat For Each Piece Of Chicken)

Pour yogurt into a mixing bowl. Peel and mince garlic; add garlic to the yogurt. Chop up a small amount of fresh parsley and add it to the yogurt. Add lemon juice. Mix together to combine.

Sprinkle chicken with (kosher) salt.

In another bowl, place the bread crumbs. Sprinkle with salt and stir lightly.

Butter a baking dish. With a pair of tongs, place the chicken, one piece at a time into the yogurt mixture. Turn it over thoroughly to coat. Then roll the chicken in the Panko bread crumbs. Cover each piece thoroughly with bread crumbs and place in the baking dish.

Place a slice of butter over the large part of each chicken piece. Cover with foil and bake in a 350º oven for 1 to 1 ¼ hours, removing the foil for the last 15 minutes of cooking. When the chicken is nice and golden, remove from the oven and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment