Monday, September 12, 2011

Football Finger Foods and "Voting" - Ann Style

So, I wouldn't consider myself particularly "sporty".  I did play basketball through middle and high school and even played on a club team in college for awhile (until Saturday morning practices interfered with my Friday evening frat parties trips to the library).  I was actually pretty decent, if I do say so myself.  But that is not because I'm a natural athlete...it was mostly because I'm very competitive and I hate to lose so I worked really hard to be good.  Plus, at my high school, jocks were the cool kids and got dibs on the Spades tables at lunch.  So it was important to play a sport and be good at it so I could partake in Spades at lunch.  And Study Hall.  So basically, when it comes down to it, I spent my high school years sweating my butt off at two-a-day practices and cried plenty of tears of blood in the weight room because I worked so hard I literally thought I couldn't go on living.  And for what?  So I could play Spades.  Logical, yes?  I think so too.

Anywho, despite my badass days on the basketball team, I'm still not very athletic.  I like shoes and makeup and my idea of something fun to watch on TV is The Real Housewives of Orange County and What Not To Wear.  My idea of something fun to watch in person is a Sommelier pouring wine tastings in my glass at a vineyard, while telling me about the deep flavor with hints of blackberry.  And then its fun to watch myself drink the wine and buy a case for later. 

Needless to say, football season wasn't something that got me very excited.  Until last year.  When my husband clued me in to the fact that you can BET on football.  Or VOTE on football, if you want to use Ann lingo. This means that even if you couldn't care less about either team that was playing, you can still win!  This is a whole new ballgame, if you will!  There is a world of internet madness out there that lets you pick which team you think will win or decide if they will score more or less of a certain number of points.  And you can do things like vote for two teams at once but they both have to win.  These things in sports speak are called "over/under, and parlay", but to me, its just more ways to win. 

So now, every Sunday morning, Andrew gets on his computer and asks me what I think about each of the games occurring that day.  Then I cast my "vote" for a team, usually based on if I like the quarterback or not, or if the coach is funny looking.  And I refer to a team not by its actual name, but by the name of a player I particularly like or hate.  Like this:

Andrew: "Okay honey, the night game is the Jets vs. the Cowboys.  Its Cowboys plus seven.  What do you think?"
Me: "Ohhhh, the Dirty Sanchez's (otherwise known as the New York Jets, with quarterback Mark Sanchez) against the Tony Romos (also knows as the Dallas Cowboys, led by quarterback Tony Romo)?!?!  Is Tony Romo still dating Jessica Simpson?"
Andrew: "What??? No.  The spread means that the Jets have to win by at least 7 points.  Do you think they can do that?"
Me: "Totally.  I like their coach because he's hilarious.  I saw it on that show you used to make me watch.  Let's vote for the Dirty Sanchez's."
Andrew: "I think the Cowboys have it.  We're betting $4 on them."
Me: "But Tony Romo is such a TOOL!!!!!"

During football season, this happens a few times every weekend.  But its a win/win!  I win because I feel involved in the process (sometimes my husband actually does what I say), and he wins because I'll watch football without complaining.  And we both win because we have bloody Mary's and delicious finger foods.

Speaking of finger foods, I actually have some recipes to share.  Made both of these little gems this past Sunday and they were delish.  I even tried to make them healthy, and I don't think anyone noticed!

Enjoy!!


Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Tortilla Rollups
Source: Adapted from Annie's Eats (If you haven't checked out Annie's blog, DO IT!  She's amazing.)

2 8-oz. packages cream cheese, softened (I used low fat cream cheese)
1 1/3 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (I used 2% cheese)
1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced (I used 2 teaspoons)
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
cayenne pepper to taste
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
salt to taste
1 cooked chicken breast, skinned and shredded
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
10-oz. can Rotel tomatoes (I used about half a can)
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 package jalapeno cheddar tortillas

Mix cheeses together until well blended.  Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.

Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.

Place one heaping spoonful onto tortilla.  Spread to edges using a metal spatula.  Roll and cut into slices.







Sausage/Pepperoni/Green Pepper Pizza Cups

Cooking spray
1 tube of refrigerator biscuits (I used reduced fat Grands)
Pizza sauce
Mozzarella cheese, diced or shredded (I used 2%)
Turkey pepperoni slices
1/2 package pre-packaged turkey sausage crumbles (can be found at the grocery store with the rest of the bacon and sausage)
Parmesan Cheese, shredded
Dried Basil
Garlic powder to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray.

Cut each biscuit in half then press the dough into of the bottom and sides of the muffin tin. Repeat with the remaining dough. Spoon sauce into each cup. Place some diced (or shredded) mozzarella cheese into the cups followed by a few slices of pepperoni. Finally add a bit more mozzarella if desired then sprinkle the tops with Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and dried oregano.

Place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese has melted. Serve immediately with a bit of heated pizza sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment