Thursday, January 19, 2012

Asparagus, Goat Cheese, and Chicken Sausage Fritatta

I'm still obsessed with Pinterest.  I haven't learned much besides that I need a humongous raise and much bigger closets.  And some sort of crafting skill would help.  And better hair because my hair would NEVER look like most of the hairdos I see on Pinterest.  And a really big, hungry family.

There are also a lot of motivational workout photos that people pin.  They make me giggle.  They're like a picture of a model or bodybuilder in the background with some sort of message that is supposed to inspire you like, "This simple workout will make you the best you that you can be.  BELIEVE IT!!!".  As if doing 50 crunches and 10 squats will make you look like the chick in the picture.  I think high school girls should totally be banned from pinning things.

However, I guess the motivational pins have been working on me, after all.  I have been working out quite a bit, and I almost have a six-pack like the girls on Pinterest.  Just kidding.  Pretty sure that will never happen, but at least I can almost fit into the skinny jeans I bought a size too small and haven't been able to get past my bum since they arrived in the mail (4 months ago).

This fritatta will help you get into your skinny jeans, too.  It probably won't give you a six-pack, though.  Sorry.  I made this last Sunday during beer brewing day at our house.  Yes, there is beer brewing day at our house.  It occurs every Sunday and I have to beg for a small sliver of the kitchen during this time and its especially fun when I come home with 12 bags of groceries and the freezer is full of bowls of yeast.  Anywho, I made the fritatta and it disappeared in minutes (I guess brewing beer makes the menfolk hungry), so I had to make another one.  It was tasty!  I just kind of made it up as I went along and used what I had in the fridge.  I'm sure there are a million varieties out there. 

If you were me, you had this with a side of arugula dressed with lemon juice and olive oil.  If you were a man, you had this with a side of several beers.  To each his own, I say.

Enjoy!


Asparagus, Goat Cheese, and Chicken Sausage Fritatta
Source: My own, inspired by...my love of goat cheese and the general concept of a fritatta!

8 eggs, beaten
1/2 bunch of asparagus (about 12 spears), ends trimmed and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
1 8 oz. container of crumbled goat cheese
2 links of chicken sausage (pre-cooked), chopped (I used roasted garlic/apple flavored sausage)
1 shallot, minced
4-5 cloves roasted garlic, minced (my grocery store has this in the salad bar - you can buy by the ounce)
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and minced
1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 350.

Heat olive oil in a 12" skillet (make sure its oven proof!) over medium high heat.  Add sausage, and cook until crispy and it starts to give off its fat.  Add the asparagus and shallots and saute until soft.  Pour in the eggs and add the goat cheese, garlic and thyme evenly over the eggs.

Let the egg mixture cook in the pan long enough for the bottom to set and start browning, about 2-3 minutes.  Once the mixture starts pulling away from the edge of the pan and doesn't look "wet" any more, gently tilt the pan so the wet mixture from the middle flows back to the bottom of the pan so it continues to set. 

Then, remove the pan from the stove and put it in the oven.  Bake at 350 until top starts to brown slightly, about 15-20 minutes.

Slice it, and eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment