Sunday, April 22, 2012

BBQ Chicken Enchiladas

OMG y'all.  I have been a very terrible blogger lately.  I always have the best of intentions to blog with archived recipes and photos while I'm on the road, but somehow that never seems to work out because I get busy working at night going out to dinner.  And then when I get home from a trip, I'm so tired, and then when I get a day or two to rest, I'm headed back to the airport.  Rinse, and repeat.

There is an end in sight, though.  Only one more trip and then I get almost 2 weeks at home and I'm pretty psyched.  My Pinterest boards are getting out of control and its time I start cooking some of the lovely Pin-ie-ness that I've been finding.

I made these BBQ chicken enchiladas a couple of weeks ago when I had a rotisserie chicken sitting around, was craving Mexican food, but also had a bottle of fancy BBQ sauce that I'd gotten at the Farmer's Market.  So, off to Pinterest I went, and found a recipe that fit the bill.  The recipe also coincidentally reminds me of Austin, Texas, where my company has their biggest office.  I spend a lot of time in Austin, and the biggest dilemma I have there is whether to eat Mexican food, or Texas BBQ.  With this recipe, you don't have to choose!  Enjoy!




BBQ Chicken Enchiladas
Source: Adapted from How Sweet It Is

8 large flour tortillas
1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and shredded
28 ounce can red enchilada sauce
3/4up of your favorite BBQ sauce (I used Strawberry Jalapeno BBQ sauce and it was amazing)
3/4rge sweet onion, sliced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
couple pinches grill seasoning
bit of chili powder
pinch of cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375.

In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium. Add sliced onions with a pinch of salt, and let caramelize until soft and golden – about 20 minutes. While onions are cooking, dump enchilada sauce into a bowl and whisk in your favorite BBQ sauce until combined.

Add shredded chicken to onions with the garlic powder, grill seasoning, chili powder and cayenne. Mix thoroughly. Pour in about a half of a cup of enchilada/BBQ sauce mixture, and add 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Stir until mixture comes together and turn off heat.

Pour a drizzle of enchilada/BBQ sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Take each tortilla and fill it with 1/8 of the chicken mixture. Roll each up and set it in the baking dish. Pour remaining enchilada/BBQ sauce on top of tortillas and add remaining cheese. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment