Monday, April 9, 2012

Mojo Pork a la Diners Drive-Ins and Dives

Wow, that was fast, huh?  One second I'm promising a new post, and the next I'm delivering on said post!  That's service for you.

I am obsessed with Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on the Food Network.  I could watch like 8 episodes in a row.  And I would know, because I've seen me do it.  My husband finds this behavior charming obnoxious and says that I've completely ruined the show before him because although the food on the show looks delicious, he has to listen to Guy Fieri's voice every second of the day.  Interesting, I don't hear him complain when I actually make things I've seen on the show.  I mean, he reaps the benefits of my obsession with all things DDD-related.  Like this Mojo Pork.  I would never have thought to make a sauce that contained 1/2 a bottle of wine, although I know that sounds unbelievable to those of you that know me well.  Or those of you that know me just a little, for that matter.

Anyway, I saw this episode of Diners Drive-Ins and Dives and they made this delicious roasted pork butt with mojo sauce and I found myself salivating.  Pulled pork is one of my favorite things in the world, and we all know how I feel about wine and garlic.  A match made in drunken, gluttonous heaven.

This made a TON of food, and even though we had company over and had leftovers for a couple of days, we still couldn't work our way through all of this.  I wish pork butts were smaller.  Sigh....

This is going in my top 10 most delicious concoctions that I've ever made.  SO tasty!  Serve with white rice and seasoned black beans.  Enjoy!





Mojo Pork
Source: Adapted from Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, marinade from Bobby Flay

1 pork shoulder/butt

For the Marinade:
4 1/2 cups fresh orange juice, divided
1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice, divided
Zest of 1 orange
Zest of 1 lime
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
1/2 cup garlic, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1 bone-in pork shoulder or butt
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine 4 cups of the orange juice, 1 cup of the lime juice, zest and garlic in a large saucepan over high heat and reduce to 2 cups.   Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining orange juice, lime juice, oregano and olive oil.  Let cool to room temperature.

Make the Pork:
Marinate the pork in the refrigerator overnight.  Remove the pork from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.  Place roast and a little extra marinade in slow cooker.  Add fresh ground black pepper to taste. 

Cook on high for 2 hours and then low for 6 hours.

Remove the pork from the slow cooker and transfer to a cutting board. Let rest until cool enough to handle, then shred and add it to a serving bowl.


Mojo Dipping Sauce:
juice of 2 lemons
8-10 cloves garlic, chopped
1- 1 1/2 cups white wine
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Serrano pepper, chopped
handful cilantro

Puree the lemon juice, garlic, white wine, olive oil, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. Transfer the puree to a small serving bowl. 

Serve the sauce over the pulled pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment