Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mini Apple Pie Bites

Every time I think about apple pie, I think about that hilarious movie, American Pie, that came out like 10 years ago.  I won't say which part of that movie in particular it reminds me of, though, because this is a family-friendly blog (just kidding, it totally isn't!).  But you know why.  And also - I wonder what ever happened to Jason Biggs, anyway?

I really liked that movie, so it gets added to the list of only like 10 movies that  actually like.  I know its shameful to admit and it probably makes me sound like a total bore (or a total psychopath), but movies aren't really my thing.  I have trouble paying attention for that long unless its something really mindless and funny, or something really suspenseful and scary.  A lot of times, I'll watch a movie, and when its over, I'm like, ummmm.....I don't get it.  I feel like I miss a lot and have trouble following intricate story lines.  Annnddd, wow....now that I typed that out, I realize I sound like a total bimbo and I think I should stop typing before revealing examples of the movies I don't "get" (Ahem, like The Recruit, and The Dark Night). 

What were we talking about again?  Oh yes, apple pie.  I saw these babies on Pinterest and thought they were adorable and looked so easy.  Plus, PLUS, I used 1/2 Splenda and 1/2 sugar and way less butter than "they" said to.  So, this is healthy apple pie!  Yes, that's it.

Anyway, enjoy, my friends!  And go rent American Pie.  It was seriously funny, you know it was.




Mini Apple Pie Bites
Source: Adapted from Budget Savvy Diva

1/2 cup sugar (I used ¼ cup Splenda and ¼ cup sugar)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 package refrigerated pie pastry
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 medium tart green apples (I used Granny Smith), peeled and sliced

Preheat oven to 425. 

Combine sugar and cinnamon and set aside a 1 tablespoon of the mixture

Unroll pie dough and brush on 1 tablespoon of butter and sprinkle the rest of the sugar mixture on top.

Cut the pastry into strips — about 1 inch wide and 5 inches long.  Wrap one strip around 2 apple wedges, placing sugared side of pastry against the apple.

Place “pies” on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush on the remaining butter and sprinkles with the rest of the sugar mixture.

Bake at 425 for 10 – 13 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment