Monday, May 14, 2012

Pan Seared Halibut with Mediterranean Salsa

I started this blog post yesterday, and I was all, "I can't believe its Sunday night already!".  And then I got busy and forgot to finish that thought.  Then, before I know it, its Monday night and I'm saying, "I can't believe its Monday night already!"

I would normally be hum-ho about Monday, because what's very exciting about a super busy work day (where your computer crashes and you have to pay $100 to FedEx it to the IT guy in Massachusetts) and then getting a toe cramp in spin class?  You know what IS exciting about this particular Monday though?  No, I'm not getting a raise (although I totally deserve one, ahem).  The dishwasher emptied itself?  Nope, not that either.  But, BUT!  Today is the season premier of The Bachelorette!  I don't even care that its like the 30th season and the whole thing is completely scripted and downright ridiculous, but I love it anyway and I will never stop.  Never.

I am constantly amazed that they still get people to come on the show.  I mean, these people KNOW that they are going to be fed massive quantities of alcohol and then prodded by the staff shrink about their deepest insecurities so that they cry on camera and look like total stalker lunatics.  I love it!  I think these people would probably have better luck just dressing up in their best pageant dresses, getting really drunk at a bar and trying to find a mate that way.  At least then its not televised. 

ANYWAY, the Bachelor/Bachelorette is probably my biggest guilty pleasure.  I love it more than words can say, and certainly more than is appropriate.  I think it just makes me feel better about myself.  I mean, I did my fair share of things that bordered on lunatic-caliber during my dating years, but NOTHING like you see from these fine folks on this show.  Its pure comedy and I look forward to it far, far too much.


But I digress.  We're here to talk about food, aren't we?  I guess so.  This fish with Mediterranean Salsa just kind of materialized from the depths of my mind as I perused the interwebs looking for inspiration.  It was a real hit and there were absolutely no leftovers.  I served this with roasted Brussels sprouts, which doesn't necessarily GO with Mediterranean food, but whatever.  I like eating Brussels sprouts, and this is my kitchen, anyway.

Enjoy!




Pan Seared Halibut with Mediterranean Salsa
Source: a "Cooking with Wine" original, inspiration found here

2 large fresh Halibut steaks
1 tablespoon olive oil

For the marinade
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
salt and pepper to taste

For the Salsa
8 artichoke hearts, quartered
4-5 roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
large handful pitted Greek (green) olives, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons capers
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (best to buy the block and crumble it yourself)
1 large shallot, finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, finely minced
handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
splash of red wine vinegar

First, make the fish:
Mix all marinade ingredients in a large freezer bag.  Add fish and let sit at room temperature for one hour.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium to medium-high heat.  Saute fish until it gets a nice sear on one side and then flip.  About 5 minutes per side or until it flakes with a fork.


Next, make the salsa:
Add all ingredients through the parsley in a large bowl.  Add the oil and vinegar to taste, toss to coat.  Serve over fish and on the side as well if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment