Friday, June 1, 2012

Guava Margaritas

It's Friday, y'all, and we should talk about cocktails, right?  Right!  I, for one, love cocktails.  Especially on a Friday, because that reminds me of my favorite Friday activity, and that is happy hour.  Back when I was a youngin', we used to have 20-person happy hours that lasted until 2:00 AM.  And then I'd get up the next day, hit the gym first thing in the morning, and then go about my packed-solid day without blinking an eye.  These days, I prefer to start my happy hours as early as possible so I can get to dinner at a decent hour (you know, in time for the blue plate special), and then go home to watch a couple of episodes of "House Hunters on Vacation" before hitting the sack.

The one thing that is cooler about old people's happy hour is that the caliber of cocktails is substantially better than they were when I was 23.  Like, tonight, I had a guava margarita while I cooked rockfish (coming in a later post!) and my husband re-arranged his camping gear in the basement.  That's a heck of a lot classier than enjoying a Pabst Blue Ribbon at a dive bar that serves fried pickles, I'll tell you what. 

Since I don't have the recipe for Pabst Blue Ribbon, we'll have to settle for a margarita recipe, huh?  This was honestly just a little tasty twist on a classic margarita, and it was tasty indeed.  I made my husband one, and he carried it around the house as he was packing the car for camping, and seemingly refused to put it down.  Every time I looked up, he had camping gear in one hand, margarita in another.  He's so adorable.

Enjoy!




Guava Margaritas
Source: Adapted from Epicurious
(Serves 2-3)

3/4 cup silver tequila (I prefer Patron, naturally)
1/2 cup triple sec (orange liqueur)
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1/3 cup guava nectar (can be found in the Latin foods section of your grocery store)
Salt and lime wedges for garnish

Combine tequila, Triple Sec, lime juice, and guava nectar in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Moisten rim of Margarita or other cocktail glass with lime juice or water. Holding glass upside down, dip rim into salt. Shake and strain drink into glass and serve.          

No comments:

Post a Comment