Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Healthy Mixed Berry Trifle

Hmm, seems like my promise to myself to blog more than once a week was lies, all lies.  I haven't even been traveling for the past three weeks, which is even more shameful.  But I HAVE been working hard....on planning a customer event for work, the usual overabundance of Powerpoint, and reading The Hunger Games series obsessively.  Who can blog when you can immerse yourself in the world of Katniss and Peeta and the drunken Haymitch??

I resisted the temptation to get into the Hunger Games at first, because it sounded kind of dumb.  But I guess I am the dumb one, if I thought I wasn't going to love these books....I am hooked.  I'll have finished all three books in 5 days and I'm already getting kind of sad about what I'm going to do when it's over.  What's that, you say?  Get a life?  Guess I should at least consider it....

Anyway!  I've been busy reading but I've also been moderately busy cooking as well.  I don't want to overwhelm you with deliciousness, though, so I'll post the recent concoctions one at a time.  Starting with mixed berry trifle, which also happens to be a healthy(ish) dessert.  Can't beat that!

This was super easy to make and great for summer!  You can use whatever berries you want, and also whatever flavor of pudding you want, too!  I used strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and cheesecake flavored pudding, and it was perfect!  I also couldn't find angel food cake at the store, so I subbed pound cake.  Would be even healthier if you used angel food cake, though.  Enjoy!






Healthy Mixed Berry Trifle
Source: Adapted from Gina's Skinny Recipes

10 oz angel food cake or pound cake, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 1/2 pint strawberries, sliced
1 container raspberries
1 pint blueberries
For the cream filling:
6 tbsp fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 package sugar-free instant pudding mix (choose any white flavor, white chocolate and cheesecake work really well)
12 oz fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed

Whisk the condensed milk and water in a bowl. Add in the pudding mix and whisk to combine. Let stand for a couple of minutes and then fold in the whipped topping.

Arrange half of the cake in the bottom of a trifle dish or large glass bowl. Cover evenly with a layer of berries (mixed). Spread half of the cream mixture over the berries and gently spread. Top with another layer of berries. Layer the remaining cake cubes on top of the berries, then add more berries and top with the remaining cream mixture. Finish with the remaining strawberries and blueberries, arranging them in a pretty pattern. Cover and refrigerate at least one 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment