Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pan Seared Halibut with Lemon Basil Cream Sauce

I'm pretty sure that I've written a post about my love for gymnastics in this blog before.  But it's my blog, and I REALLY love gymnastics and we are in the middle of the Olympics after all, so we're going to talk about it again.  If you only care about pan seared Halibut with lemon basil cream sauce, then by all means, scroll on down and knock yourself out.

I've been looking forward to the Olympics for months now, especially gymnastics because that is the best part.  I have the whole schedule saved on my computer and I'm determined not to miss a minute of it.  I can't imagine what we did before DVR.  Actually, I know what we did before DVR.  When I was 12 (during the 1992 summer games), I taped the gymnastics on the trusty old VCR and watched those tapes over and over and over again.  Like, obsessively.  I think I was convinced that I would miraculously shrink 10 inches, lose 40 pounds, and become coordinated and flexible and bendy and I'd be an Olympic gymnast just like the girls on TV.  Alas, it never happened and frankly, the thought of myself doing even the simplest of somersaults on a balance beam is quite frightening indeed.  Plus, I don't think those leotards would look very good on me.  It would be best if I could do my gymnastics in sweats and a T-shirt.

Anyway, tonight is the beginning of the women's competition, and I can't wait.  Now that my dream of becoming an Olympic gymnast has been forgotten and buried where it belongs, I can watch at my leisure with a tasty glass of red.  Can't beat that.


Now, on to food.  I wanted to do this fish dish with grouper, but the grouper at the store didn't look so good and the halibut looked amazing.  So, you gotta do what you gotta do.  I think it still turned out great, and it was fresh and light and super tasty.  I served it with roasted brussels sprouts, white beans with roasted tomatoes, and a tasty rose.  I am obsessed with rose lately....the dry kind.  At first I felt self-conscious ordering pink wine at a restaurant because I feel like it has a "unsophisticated wine drinker" stigma attached to it, but I'm over it now.  And its not like I'm ordering white zin from a box or anything.  Anyhow, enjoy!




Pan Seared Halibut with Lemon Basil Cream Sauce
Source: adapted from Eclectic Recipes

4 halibut fillets
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
4 tbsp. butter
2 cloves garlic, grated
½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
½ cup dry white wine
¼ cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Evenly sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of fish fillets. Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a pan over medium high heat.  Add fish and sear on both sides.  Cook 4-5 minutes unit opaque and remove from pan. Set aside and cover with foil.

While fish is cooking, preheat a large skillet over low heat. Add 2 tbsp. butter, grated garlic and black pepper to the pan. Cook over low heat until garlic is fragrant. Add white wine and bring to a boil. Boil over medium low heat until sauce reduces by half. Add heavy cream and fresh chopped basil. Simmer until thickened.

Serve cream sauce over fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment