Thursday, August 30, 2012

Healthy Grilled Chicken Kebabs with Yogurt Marinade

Sooooooo....
 
I am pretty certain 100% sure that at some point earlier in this blog, I claimed that I was going to get healthy and lose weight and eat healthy food and move my butt every day.  I was going to be super buff and look cute in skinny jeans and wear a bathing suit without having a panic attack.  Well, that was lies, all lies.
 
I ain't lost a pound, y'all.  In fact, quite the opposite.  Shameful but true.  Yesterday something happened to me that strikes fear in the hearts of many a female across the world.  I had to get on a scale in front of another human being.  Twice.  In the same day!  I tried convincing these nurses that my clothes weighed close to 30 pounds but they were skeptical.  Rude! 
 
Turns out that I'm not 22 any more, and no longer have the metabolism of my former self.  And that I don't have hormones on my side.  This whole getting skinny thing is going to take a bit more dedication than I had anticipated.  That's okay - I'm up for the challenge.  I've enlisted the help of an endocrinologist who specializes in metabolic issues and nutrition, and he rocks.  I learned all kinds of things about how the body reacts to fat vs. protein vs. carbs and why certain foods make us feel the way we do.  And why eating certain foods causes a person to gain or lose weight.  Fascinating. 
 
So!  This blog is going to change a little bit.  But I think for the better, especially if you'd like to lose a few lbs. like me.  And if you don't, then just eat a whole lot of what I'm making, and then also serve it with a bucket of tater tots dipped in ranch.  Sound good?  Great!
 
And if this post seems like an over-share, it might be.  I couldn't decide whether to put it out there or not, but then I decided that surely I'm not the only person in the world who has struggled with their weight, and that maybe, just MAYBE, someone out there feels the same way I do and might want some healthy recipes to try.  So, here we are.
 
 
Anyway, this chicken recipe is a perfect example of the kind of thing I've been instructed to eat for dinner.  Without rice or potatoes (sob).  It was so tasty, though.  It's a Cook's Illustrated recipe, and the chicken is SO juicy and flavorful.  I'd put it in my top 5 favorite chicken recipes of all time, no doubt.  It was super easy, too.  Make it today!  It has tons of protein!





Grilled Chicken Kebabs with Yogurt Marinade
Source: Adapted from Cook's Illustrated
 
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)  
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 bell peppers, one red and one green, cut into 1-in . pieces
1 large red onion, cut into 1-in . pieces
Whisk yogurt, 1/4 cup oil, 1 Tbsp garlic, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne, and lemon juice in a large bowl.
 
Cut chicken into chunks and add to the marinade.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 3-6 hours.
Remove chicken from yogurt marinade; discard marinade. 
 
Grill over medium heat until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink, turning every few minutes, about 15 minutes total.
Transfer to serving platter and serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. I love to eat grilled chicken, those are really yummy. But I still haven’t tried it with yogurt marinade. I hope to try it.

    ReplyDelete