Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Herb-Crusted Chicken with Feta Sauce

I've had this recipe bookmarked for months but have just gotten around to cooking it.  Honestly, I've just gotten around to cooking anything at all, since I haven't really been home enough to do very much in the ways of culinary genius.  But now I am back and here to say that I love me some feta cheese.  And I can't think of anything more delicious than chicken crusted with herbs and panko and then covered with feta.  Yum!

This is going to be a short post because I'm really busy doing spreadsheets for work and watching Dance Moms.  I'm just here to tell you that this chicken was amazing and you should make it.

I served this with a little grilled zucchini and whole wheat orzo tossed with lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic powder.

You should also not judge me for that glass of pink wine you see pictured below.  I'll have you know that that is a glass of a beautifully dry rose' wine and it's not white zin from a box.  I'm just saying, in case you were questioning my level of wine sophistication.

Enjoy!




Herb-Crusted Chicken with Feta Sauce
Source: Adapted from Moms Who Think, originally from Everyday Food

1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (Italian seasoned)
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2-4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (depending on size, ours were huge so we did 2)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
4 teaspoons olive oil

Sauce:
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Dash of black pepper
1 3.5-ounce package reduced-fat feta cheese


Combine panko, whole wheat bread crumbs,  Italian seasoning, Parmesan, and garlic powder in a shallow bowl. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; dredge in panko mix.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3-4 minutes each side.  Remove from skillet and place on baking sheet.  Bake at 350 for another 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160F.  Let rest so juices distribute and for temp to continue to rise slightly.

Meanwhile, grate rind and squeeze the juice from lemon in a bowl. Add the parsley, oil, and pepper, and stir with a whisk. Add cheese, stirring with a fork to combine.

Place 1 chicken breast on each plate, and spoon 2-3 tablespoons feta sauce over each serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment