Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Drunken Shrimp

Let me start by saying that I have a newfound respect for Moms.  I realize that my "baby" is not of the human variety, but goodness gracious, these little creatures will suck the energy right out of you.  It seems that puppies have to pee almost as much as babies have to eat!

I'm the kid of girl who loves my sleep.  Loves it.  I feel really bad for people with insomnia.....I have no idea what that feels like, but I am sure it bites.  I do think that I know what narcolepsy MIGHT feel like, though.  Like, a mild case.  I can sleep pretty much on command.  Airplanes, car rides, boring meetings, you name it.  I'm pretty sure that I've never made it through a whole movie when its watched at home (you'd understand if you've spent any time on my couch).  Even 10 years after college, I can still sleep in on the weekends, and I had fully planned on continuing to do that for the rest of my life.  Until Lola came along.  She's not interested in my desire to sleep in, and she thinks 6 AM is a good time to wake up.  And 4 AM, and 2 AM, and midnight also. 

I'm exhausted.  I am actually kind of excited to get on an airplane in a few hours so I can get some sleep without a little creature crying in my ear.  Except now that I typed that, I'm sure I'll get a seat next to a screaming kid or some obnoxious adult.  Never fails.

Anyway, I forgot to go to the store last night so dinner had to be made out of ingredients we already had in the house, and it was slim pickings.  I found some frozen shrimp in the freezer and thought I'd marinate it in some stuff, grill it on skewers, and serve it over some linguine from Trader Joe's.  Turned out pretty tasty!

I'm going to have to estimate this recipe...I just kind of threw some things together!


Garlicky Marninated Shrimp with Herbed Linguine
Source: my genius brain

Shrimp Marinade:
1 lb shrimp, peeled and de-veined
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon McCormick's grill seasoning
few shakes hot sauce
bit of white wine vinegar

For the Linguine:
1 package Trader Joe's garlic basil linguine
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 squeeze anchovy paste
2 pinches red pepper flakes
1/2 chopped shallot
bit of white wine
2 tablespoons cream

Combine all ingredients for the marinade and add the shrimp.  Marniate for 2 hours and then grill on medium-high heat until done.

For the pasta, boil linguine according to package instructions, drain and set aside.  Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a pan and add garlic, pepper flakes, anchovy paste, and shallots.  Cook until tender, and then add white wine and cream.  Stir until thickened.  Add pasta back to pot and serve with shrimp on top.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your lack of sleep! When my dog was a puppy she cried the first few nights and we tried our best to ignore her (but we couldn't sleep) and eventually she got used to it. Potty training is a lot of work, just try to be consistent! Are you using those training pads? They worked really well for our doggie.

    This pasta dish looks delicious btw. I love shrimp! :)

    ReplyDelete