Monday, April 18, 2011

Shrimp and Chorizo Skewers with Grilled Corn and Zucchini

So, riddle me this.  Why is it that it takes like 6 months to get IN shape, but 6 hours or even a GLANCE at a donut to get out of it?  I had been going to spin class religiously since November.  Like 3 times a week, often times 4 or 5.  It was awesome-sauce and I was feeling good and totally dedicated.

Then we got our adorable baby pup, and I took 2 weeks off to cater to her every whim.  After seeing an especially un-flattering picture of myself, I decided it was time to get back in the swing of things and I dragged my weary butt to Gold's Gym last week to re-start my dedication to spin several times a week.

Oh.  Holy. Painful-ness.  It was like I'd never been to a spin class in my entire life.  Heck, it was like I'd never even walked or broken a sweat in my entire life.  I thought I was going to DIE.  Like, die-on-the-spot-wipe-me-off-the-floor kind of die.  What the hay!?!?  I worked my butt off for 5 months and a 2-week hiatus puts me back feeling like....well, a person who strongly resembles me 5 months and 1 day ago!

Its almost enough to make a person want to quit the gym altogether, since there are going to be times when a hiatus is necessary.  But I guess that's a really lame excuse, so one must keep on keeping on.  In the meantime, though, I WOULD like to file a complaint with Mother Nature AND the Exercise Gods.  Because its pretty unfair and my lungs and butt would appreciate a little more leniency next time. 

Anywho, I'm happy to be away from an airport and closer to the kitchen for the next week.  I get to go to Arkansas next week, though.  Try not to be jealous.

This was possibly the simplest recipe ever.  I served it with grilled corn on the cob and grilled zucchini....the whole thing took less than 20 minutes.  Can't beat that!


Shrimp and Chorizo Skewers
Source: Adapted from Living in the Kitchen with Puppies

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 cup olive oil
1 pound Spanish chorizo, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
20 (6-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 lemons, cut into small wedges

In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, paprika and olive oil. Set aside

Put a slice chorizo into the curve of a shrimp. Thread a skewer through the shrimp starting at the tail and working your way up through the chorizo into the shrimp. Repeat with remaining shrimp and chorizo.

Pour half of the marinade on the bottom of a large baking dish and spread out to evenly coat the bottom of the dish. Put the finished skewers on top and brush the remaining marinade evenly over the top of the skewers. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour.
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.

Season the skewers with salt and pepper, to taste. Grill the skewers for 3 minutes per side. Remove from the grill to a serving platter and serve with lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment