Sunday, April 24, 2011

Grilled Chicken Breasts with Fontina and Prosciutto with Sage-Orange Vinaigrette

Today, the Karma Gods are on my side.  My husband took the puppy to his parent's lake house a couple of hours away for the weekend, and I stayed home to visit with some friends from out of town.  That meant TWO days of sleeping in IN A ROW.  And being able to stay out as late as I want because I don't have to worry about the little monster peeing in her crate or chewing my dining room table to pieces.  Last night I discovered that I am officially old and that staying out late means total misery the next day.  Its 4:00 in the afternoon and I've already taken two naps.  Usually this would be completely impossible with the puppy who wants to go outside and then back inside and then outside and inside, outside, inside, OMG does it ever end?  But today?  TODAY, she is so exhausted from playing with the other dogs at the lake that she is literally acting as if she's been drugged.  I haven't seen her eyeballs all day long and she's being the most perfect little angel, allowing Mommy and Daddy to relax and recoup.  I don't know what I did to deserve this peace and quiet, but I'm not complaining.

Anyway, I FINALLY have time to blog, with a sleeping puppy at my feet instead of a complete maniac barking at me for no reason.

I found this chicken recipe on the Cookin Canuk.  It was wonderful, and I served it over arugula and grilled asparagus.  One of our favorites, I'll definitely be making this again.


Grilled Chicken Breasts with Fontina and Prosciutto and Sage-Orange Vinaigrette
Source: Cookin Canuk

Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
3 tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tsp grated orange zest
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil

Chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 slices prosciutto (2 ounces)
2 ounces fontina cheese, grated (I used fresh mozzarella)
4 fresh sage leaves
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

In a blender, combine white wine vinegar, chopped fresh sage leaves, chopped garlic, grated orange zest, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Blend until smooth. While the blender is running, slowly pour in 1/2 cup olive oil. Set aside.

Preheat the grill to high. Place 12 wooden toothpicks in water to soak for 5 minutes.

Put each chicken breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound each chicken breast until 1/8 inch thick.

Lay the chicken breasts on a cutting board and top each one with 1 slice of prosciutto. Divide the fontina cheese evenly amongst the chicken breasts. Top the cheese on each breast with 1 fresh sage leaf.

Starting on a short end, roll up the chicken, folding in the sides if necessary. Secure the seam of each chicken breast with toothpicks. Brush each chicken breast with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Place the chicken breasts on the pre-heated grill and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, turning as necessary so that the chicken breasts are browned on all sides and cooked through.

Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Slice the chicken crosswise, plate it, an drizzle 2 tbsp of vinaigrette over each chicken breast.

No comments:

Post a Comment