Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Burgers and Babies. And Big Baller Career Moves.

Remember my post awhile ago when I pretended I was pregnant for a second and then confessed that the "little one I was expecting" was actually just a dog?  Remember how funny that was!?!?

Well, now I have another baby announcement, and its a HUMAN BABY!






And her name is Blair and she is my brand new niece!!  I haven't met her yet, as she lives in Georgia and she was born less than 24 hours ago, but I've seen pictures and she is PRECIOUS!  I just wanna squeeze her, but I'll refrain because she's a tiny little thing and I wouldn't want to make her poop (more than she already does).

I'm sad that I am not there to squeeze her and love on her, but I'll be there soon.  Because I start a new job on Monday and with said new job I'll be traveling to Georgia a lot so I get to see the little peanut and her amazing parents (my brother and sister-in-law).  Win-win situation!

I'm pretty psyched about my new gig.  My first day is Monday and I can't remember a time when I was this excited to go to work.  That's pretty cool in my book....if you always lose the lottery like I do, and you have to work for a living, you may as well be doing something you love, right?  Right!

Anyway, I'm having a pretty darn good time with life these days.  New adorable family members, new job that refreshes my psyched-ed-ness (I know that's not a word) about my career, spending time with my sweet puppy and her daddy (of the human variety), and the cooking and eating of delicious food.  How can life be even better? 

Oh, what?  How can life be better, you ask?  Well, on the off chance that the powers that be are listening, let's list a few things that could make life a LITTLE bit better, shall we?  We'll start with Yours Truly miraculously losing 20 pounds.  And having her underwater rental condo sell tomorrow for twice what its worth (or spontaneously combust).  And what about bathrooms?  Will they EVER clean themselves??  Oh!  And the weird thing that's happened with my hair lately....can we stop that?  Hair should be either straight, or curly.  Not both, not in between, not one version one day and the other the next, and CERTAINLY not straight in the front and curly in the back.  That's just wrong. 

And, as long as I'm asking....I'd like world peace.  For real.  I really, honestly would.  The state of the world makes me really, really sad, and I wish we could find a way to love more and hate less.

And once again, my blog post is a random assortment of thoughts and rambles, and has nothing to do with the recipe/photo I happen to want to share.  I've said it before and I'll say it again....tough toenails.  I think my readers (ie my immediate family) would appreciate this blog less if my posts just said, "I made this cheeseburger and it was yummy" every day. 

So!  Here's a BBQ chicken burger that I made and it was yummy.





BBQ Chicken Burgers
Source: How Sweet It Is

1 pound ground chicken breast
1/4 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup BBQ sauce – use homemade or your favorite!
4 whole wheat buns
1 onion, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
BBQ sauce for topping
gouda cheese for topping

In a large bowl, combine chicken, BBQ sauce, paprika, onion and garlic powder, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese. Mix until just combined, then form 4 patties. Preheat the grill or a skillet and cook the burgers until fully cooked through. I used a skillet and cooked mine about 8 minutes per side – they were juicy and not dried out, but cooked thoroughly.

While burgers are cooking, heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add sliced onions with a pinch of salt and saute until caramelized, about 10 minutes.

When burgers are ready, top with gouda (or more cheddar), onions, tomato, BBQ sauce and fresh romaine (I used arugula).

No comments:

Post a Comment