Sunday, November 6, 2011

Beef Bolognese over Rigatoni (With Red Wine, Of Coure)

I can't believe its Sunday again already.  I don't know what the heck I've been doing all week, but if I don't remember, there's a good chance that it wasn't anything particularly exciting.  I haven't been traveling for the past 2 weeks, so the number of days I get dressed is, well, taking a bit of a beating.  I keep having to do laundry because all of my lounge clothes are dirty.  If by "do laundry", you mean, "go to Target to buy more lounge clothes".  I know that people say its best when you work from home to get dressed every day as if you were going into an office.  These "people" have lost their minds.  How exactly is it best to put on dress pants or a pencil skirt when you're going to sit at the desk in your spare room with a puppy snout on your knee?  What kind of hare-brained idea is that?  No one can see me when I'm doing my wheeling and dealing on the phone and email, so why not be comfy?  And I don't care what anyone says, PJs are the most comfy thing one can wear.  Except for maybe the exception of this:




If there's something more awesome than working from home, its working from home in THIS.  How sexy is that?  I'm sure my husband would be thrilled if he came home to me in this pink monstrosity every day.  It even comes with socks!

Anyway, lucky for him he usually comes home to me in something slightly less ridiculous, and usually with something tasty simmering on the stove.  Friday it was homemade bolognese sauce.  Smelled so good he even overlooked the fact that I would deign to put carrots in a pasta dish.  I probably should have halved this bad boy, though, because it made a boat-ton of sauce.  We'll have leftovers for years.

Found this on Pioneer Woman's site, and I adapted it a bit to my liking but also based on what I had in the pantry.  It turned out great...hearty without being to heavy, and even relatively healthy.  As healthy as a meat sauce served over pasta can be, I guess.

Enjoy!!





Beef Bolognese over Rigatoni
Source: Adapted from Pioneer Woman
 
1/2 cup Olive Oil (I used less)
1-1/2 cup Grated Carrots (I used 1/2 grated, 1/2 diced)
1 whole Large Red Onion, Diced
2 pounds Ground Beef (I used 1 1/2 lbs beef and 1/2 pound ground chicken breast)
2 Tablespoons Dried Oregano (I used fresh)
2 Tablespoons Dried Basil Flakes (I used Italian Seasoning Mix)
1 can (6 Ounce) Tomato Paste
5 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 cup (to 2 Cups) Red Wine (I used 2.  Of course.)
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
2 cans (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes
1 cup Milk (I used skim)
Salt And Pepper, to taste
Fresh Parmesan Cheese (I added a bunch of grated parm to the sauce)

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or skillet over medium heat. Add carrots and onions and cook for a few minutes. Make a well in the center of the mixture, and then add in the ground meat. Cook for a few minutes until brown, gradually stirring it into the carrot mixture.

Throw in oregano and basil.  When the meat is browned and combined with other ingredients, make another well. Add tomato paste and let it heat. Add garlic and stir to combine.

Make a well in the center of the mixture and add red wine. Stir together. Add Worcestershire and stir. Add canned tomatoes. Finally, pour in milk, stir, and let simmer for 30 minutes to 2 hours—however long you need.

Serve with pasta and a generous sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

  1. Ooo this looks sooo good and exactly what I've been craving lately.

    I was rolling in laughter the first time I saw that commercial for Forever Lazy. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete