Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Spicy Flank Steak with Avocado Cucumber Dipping Sauce

I have this friend named Kara.  We go back a LONG time....I believe that if I think really hard about it, she is my oldest friend.  Like, she's been my friend for the longest, not that she's older than all my other friends.  Funny story about Kara being old, though, which I will tell you below in case you care.  Kara and I got into our fair share of typical teenage mischief together, but I'd say we both turned out okay as adults (if you start adulthood at age 25).  We were especially fond of cruising around in our beat up cars - her's a blue Ford Taurus named Big Blue and mine a 1983 yellow Volvo (with a poop brown interior!!) named Colonel Mustard.

The other day, Kara was telling her 11-year old son Jordan about how she and I loved to drive around in our beaters and we didn't even care that they weren't fancy cars, because any car = freedom.  The conversation went a little like this:

Kara: "Ann's car was named "Colonel Mustard", isn't that funny?"
Jordan: "Andrew is SO awesome."  (side note, Andrew is my husband, and he IS awesome)
Kara: "Uh, yeah, but we were talking about Ann.  Don't you think she is awesome?"
Jordan: "I mean, sure, I guess, but Andrew is REALLY awesome."

Pause...

Jordan: "You are older than Ann, right?"
Kara: "Actually, no.  Ann is one month older than I am."
Jordan: "REALLY!??!?!  No way!!!  Are you sure?  Because Ann looks a LOT younger than you."


So, the good news is that I look younger than my dear friend Kara, and the bad news is that my husband is WAY more awesome than I am.  I could have told you that without the help of an 11-year old.


Anyway, its clear that Kara too is awesome for spawning such an insightful child.  She's also beautiful and smart and talented and funny and I love her like she's my own sister.  But despite her array of skills, not many of them are of the domestic type - she only knows how to cook approximately 4 things.  Good thing she knows how to use a credit card, and most importantly (especially for her family), she isn't AFRAID to use a credit card. 

I posted a story awhile back (I swore not to link to it, but you MIGHT be able to find it if you search for "guacamole") that didn't portray her cooking skills in the best light.  And the funny thing is, I was mostly just talking smack, because her guacamole was actually quite delicious.  Just not as delicious as mine.

Anyway, after that post, she demanded that I make one of her other recipes and post it on my blog and rave about how amazing it was.  She emailed me a recipe for spicy flank steak with avocado dipping sauce like 6 months ago, and like the good friend I am, I've been ignoring her many pleas to make it.  UNTIL NOW!  I whipped this little concoction up last night and served it with cheesy chile rice and broccoli.  And guess what?  It WAS delicious and its definitely going into the "make again" file.  Kara is now a culinary genius and because of this wonderful contribution to my blog, I will from now on refer to her as "my friend with the tasty flank steak recipe" instead of "the friend I beat in the guacamole smackdown". 

Enjoy!!




Spicy Flank Steak with Avocado Dipping Sauce
Source: My Dear Friend Kara

Rub:
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp chipotle chile powder
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cumin
2 lb flank steak

Avocado Dipping Sauce
1 english cucumber (3 inches chopped)
1/4 c sour cream
1 med avocado, peeled & pitted
1/4 c fresh dill, chopped
2 T fresh lime juice
2 t minced jalapeno
1 t minced garlic
1/2 t kosher salt

Lightly brush steaks with olive oil.  Season evenly with rub.  Let stand @ room temperature for 30 minutes. (I marinated my flank steak in some vegetable oil, Dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce, a few crushed garlic cloves, and red wine vinegar for about 5 hours beforehand as well.  You can do this if you want)

Grill steaks over direct heat (high 500 F) w/ lid closed as much as possible.  4-6 minutes for medium rare, turn once or twice.  Slice across the grain.

To make dipping sauce, mix all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.  Serve with steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment