Sunday, November 13, 2011

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with Mona's Egg Salad Sandwiches

Oh hey there!  Me again.  Been traveling for the past few days and am just now settling back into a routine (not that I have a routine at all....but if I did, I'd be settling into it).  I was in Nashville and Atlanta and got to see some old friends and their cute baby, Thomas, AND my sister and sister-in-law, and my darling niece, Blair.  I even babysat for her and didn't scar her for life.  Super win.


I had some successful meetings and closed tons of business.  Woot!  That's the good news.  The bad news is that I learned that Hyatt Place hotels are not the same thing as Grand Hyatt hotels.  Not the same at all, people.  I wish I had known that before I booked Hyatt Places while I was gone...I've turned into such a snob.  The Hyatt place in downtown Atlanta was the first time I've locked the deadbolt AND chain lock in a hotel, like, ever.  Oh well, live and learn.  And only book Grand Hyatts from now on.


Anyway, I haven't cooked in like a week but luckily I have some tasty things saved up so I don't have to abandon my blog.  I'm sure all 12 of you who read this would be real sad if that happened.


This chicken noodle soup was ah-mazing.  A perfect concoction to enjoy on a chilly weekend, and it was super easy.  My husband did happen to mention, however, that I made his mom's egg salad wrong because I used Duke's mayonnaise instead of Helman's.  He's right that I used Duke's, but he is NOT correct in his assessment that its somehow inferior to Helman's.  I mean, really.


Enjoy!



Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
Source: Smells Like Home

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 stalks celery, medium-diced (1 cup)
3 carrots, medium-diced (1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 quarts chicken stock
2 cups wide egg noodles
2-3 cups cooked shredded chicken
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

 
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.

Pour in the stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the noodles and cook for 10 minutes, then add the chicken and parsley. Continue cooking until the chicken is heated through and serve immediately.


Simple Egg Salad
Source: My mother-in-law, Mona

8 eggs, hard boiled and peeled
3/4 cup mayonnaise, or to taste
1/3 cup yellow mustard, or to taste
salt and pepper to taste
couple sprinkles of garlic powder

Mash cooked and peeled eggs in a large bowl.  Add mayonnaise and mustard and stir to combine.  Adjust mayonnaise and mustard amounts as needed.  Add salt and pepper to taste and serve on white sandwich bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment