Saturday, February 19, 2011

Buffalo Blue Cheese Meatloaf and the Case of the Missing Tastebuds

I love spicy food and will devour anything of a buffalo variety.  I've been known to lick buffalo sauce off an empty wing plate from time to time if I think no one is looking.  My husband finds this behavior charming.


Speaking of my husband, he SAYS he likes spicy food, too, but he tends to be a little picky about how hot something actually is.  He doesn't share my "if 2 tablespoons of cayenne is good, 4 tablespoons are better" philosophy and will sometimes complain that what I've made is too spicy.  What a total pansy!  Anyway, a couple of years ago, I made my famous (well, famous according to me) chili, which he usually loves.  I never measure anything when I make chili, I just kind of wing it and add stuff according to taste or whatever I feel like on that particular day.  And since you can't SUBTRACT spiciness from a pot of chili, there have admittedly been a time or two where I went a little overboard and many, many dollops of sour cream are necessary to make it edible.  This was one of those times.  The man SWEARS UP AND DOWN that after eating this particular batch of chili, all of his tastebuds actually BURNED OFF and he couldn't taste food for a month.  Like that's even possible!  And he says that I exaggerate!  Like I said, what a total pansy.


For this buffalo blue cheese meatloaf recipe, I doubled the amount of wing sauce I put in there, and it was borderline too spicy.  Oh well.  He now knows not to complain about anything being too hot ever again, because he knows if he does, I'll mock him publicly and call him a pansy.  Oops....too late for that, I guess!


I served these meatballs in mini meatloaf form and paired them with blue cheese mashed potatoes.  Easy: half a bag of new potatoes, boil until tender, and then smash with skim milk, low fat blue cheese dressing, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Delish!








Buffalo Blue Cheese MeatballsSource: Adapted from Lemons and Love


1 lb ground beef
1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 large egg
2 tablespoons wing sauce (I used 4)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon steak grill seasoning mix
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I subbed garlic powder in place of cayenne)
salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine all the above ingredients and form into meatballs (I made them into mini meatloaves).  Bake for 25 minutes or until done (since I did meatloaves, I baked for 35-40 minutes)

Serve
with a dipping sauce of 1 part wing sauce to 3 parts ranch dressing (you must do this)

1 comment:

  1. So I tried this recipe, as REPEATEDLY requested by the co-diner, and it was a big hit. I added a little crumbled gorgonzola to the potatoes to up the blue cheese anty (yum!), but the ranch-wing sauce recipe really made the whole experience. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete