Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lazy Sunday - Shrimp and Mushroom Fettucine with Corn and Pancetta

For those of you who know me well, you are aware that I am very protective of my lazy Sundays.  I usually pray for rain so I don't feel guilty about not leaving the house and sometimes not even showering getting dressed and doing my hair and makeup.  People know that if they invite me to do something on a Sunday, the chances are slim that their event will be blessed with my presence unless its something REALLY fun, or if I had a lazy Saturday the day before.  I cherish my down time and love the feeling of having a whole day to do whatever I feel like doing, without having to answer to anyone.


Well, then I got married.  My husband doesn't have quite the same idea of a perfect Sunday.  I love him more than life, but man, does he sometimes cramp my lazy Sunday style.  Like today.  I had just settled into my cozy chair with my fuzzy gray blanket, a clementine, the remote, and my laptop.  I was all ready to chill out until it was time to grocery shop (I may or may not have worn PJ pants and a T-shirt to the grocery store today...I'll never tell) and cook dinner.  But then Andrew comes in, all dressed, and announces he's going to "do stuff around the house" in a tone that clearly says, "Maybe you should get off your lazy butt and clean something too Maybe you could help me so we could spend some quality time together".  The nerve!  Its hard to enjoy a lazy Sunday when you're riddled with guilt for not scrubbing a toilet or something.  I got over it, though, and had a lovely day of reading cookbooks, watching Say Yes to the Dress, and planning the week's menu.  Oh, and napping.  Its not a perfect Sunday unless a nap is involved.


I also think lazy Sunday-ism is contagious.  Because my husband?  I'm not sure he ever did anything around the house after all, and he spent most of the day next to me on the couch.  I think he's coming around.


I did manage to make it to the grocery store to buy ingredients for tonight's dinner.  I was really excited about this one, since its a pasta dish and pasta is my favorite food in the entire world (much to the dismay of my skinny jeans).  It was pretty good, but probably nothing that'll make it on the regular rotation list.  That might be because I think I added too much wine to the sauce and it ended up a little runny.  Not really my fault though...I was born with a heavy wine-pouring hand.  Such is life.  Maybe I'll try again with less wine in the sauce and more wine in my belly.






Shrimp and Mushroom Fettucine with Corn and Pancetta
Source: Closet Cooking


1 tablespoon butter
1 ounce pancetta (chopped)
1 cup wild mushrooms (sliced)
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 tablespoon butter
2 shallots (chopped)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 pound shrimp (shelled and deveined)
2 tablespoons heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons dill (chopped)
2 servings fettuccine (cooked)

Melt the butter in a pan.  Add the pancetta, mushrooms and thyme and fry until the mushrooms are golden brown, about 10 minutes.  Set the pancetta and mushrooms aside.
Melt the butter in the pan.  Add the shallots and saute until golden brown, about 10 minutes.  Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Add the corn and saute until warm, about 2 minutes.  Add the mushrooms and pancetta back to the pan.  Add the white wine and deglaze the pan.  Add the shrimp and cook for a few minutes on each side.  Add the cream, salt and pepper and mix.
Add the dill and remove from the heat.






Oh, and I also made this Walnut and Rosemary Oven Fried Chicken.  I have no story about that.  I made it, and then we ate it!  It was good!






Walnut and Rosemary Oven-Fried Chicken

1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
4  (6-ounce) chicken cutlets
1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
3/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray
Rosemary leaves (optional)

Preheat oven to 425°.
Combine buttermilk and mustard in a shallow dish, stirring with a whisk. Add chicken to buttermilk mixture, turning to coat.
Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add panko to pan; cook 3 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Combine panko, nuts, and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a shallow dish. Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture; discard buttermilk mixture. Dredge chicken in panko mixture.
Arrange a wire rack on a large baking sheet; coat rack with cooking spray. Arrange chicken on rack; coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 13 minutes or until chicken is done. Garnish with rosemary leaves, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, do not touch my lazy Sundays! I loooove to sit around the house on Sundays and do nothing. All I did today was make it to Target to buy some cold medicine...and I may or may not have worn my sweatpants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you ... I really like my lazy Sundays!! Unfortunately - I always leave my laundry until the last minute so I end up working any way! Both recipes look really yummy too!!

    ReplyDelete