Friday, February 25, 2011

Ugly Chicken Pockets

Sometimes I plan meals in my head and picture how they are going to look when they're done and I get really, really excited about the prospect of making certain things because of how pretty I imagine they are going to be.  Usually I do this while trying to fall asleep at night, or during meetings.  My job requires a fair amount of meetings, and most of them don't even involve me so I have trouble focusing on the task at hand.  I also have the attention span of a fire ant, so that could be a factor, too.


Anywho, I was really excited about making this chicken dish because I was under the impression that the chicken pockets I made would be perfectly symmetrical, and the epitome of beautiful, golden, buttery, flaky deliciousness.  It didn't really turn out like that, mostly due to the fact that I bought the wrong kind of croissant rolls and wrapping anything in those buggers was like trying to diaper a mouse with saran wrap.


I did manage to pull it together enough to get them in the oven, and they were awfully yummy, even if they had faces only a mother would love.  I paired them with brown rice with pistachios and goat cheese and some roasted broccoli. 





Croissant Chicken
 
3 ounces cream cheese (I used low fat)
3 Tbsp melted butter, divided
2 cups cooked chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
salt & pepper
2 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp finely chopped onion
1 (8 ounce) can croissant dinner rolls
2 tablespoons chopped thyme
garlic powder
¾ cup seasoned breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Blend cream cheese and 1 Tbsp. butter until smooth. Mix in chicken, salt, pepper, milk, thyme, garlic powder and onions.
Separate dough into 4 rectangles- press perforations to eliminate seams. Spoon ½ cup of the chicken mixture onto the center of each rectangle. Pull 4 corners of dough to the top. Twist and seal to form a round ball.
Brush butter over each ball and roll in crumbs. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 20-25 minutes.

1 comment: