Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lemon Chicken Scallopine and Some Musings on Delusion

After calling old Charlie a delusional wacko so many times, I started feeling a little like a hypocrite.  Not that I'm saying I'm a wacko (or at least not any more...I think there's an argument that ALL college girls are wackos, and I was no different 10 years ago), but I did start thinking about how I have a nice collection of my own delusions.  None as far-fetched as Mr. Adonis DNA's, let's be clear, but they are delusions all the same.  To name a few of my most frequently used:


1.) DELUSION: If you use whole wheat products in a recipe, said recipe is automatically healthy and cannot be, under any circumstance, laden with calories. 


FALSE!


FACT: Chicken breaded with (whole wheat) bread crumbs and sauteed fried in butter, served over (whole wheat) pasta is still pretty darn fattening.  But…it has fiber, which will help with….you know, so you can lose weight that way…..NO.  Still fattening.




2.)    DELUSION: If you attend spin class on any given day, you can eat whatever you want on said day, and you will magically continue to lose weight. 


FALSE. 


FACT: Spin class only burns like 600 calories, so if you go to class but otherwise eat like a linebacker, you’re probably going to start looking like a linebacker.




3.)    DELUSION: If something is on sale, it is automatically a good deal. 


FALSE. 


FACT: Sometimes stores put things on sale because nobody wants to buy them because they are hideous.  Its not a good deal if you never wear your cheap, ugly purchases. 


4.)    DELUSION:  I contribute to household chores in a percentage equal to my husband's and I do my share of the dishes. 


FALSE. 


FACT:  Honestly, I don't.  But here is my rationale for this.  My husband is quite particular regarding how things should be cleaned and how often tables should be dusted.  If I do it, chances are pretty good that he'll do go behind me and do it anyway, so why bother?  Plus, I cook every night and keep him entertained with my witty jokes and anecdotes.  That's about all the housework I can handle.




5.)    DELUSION: Wii sports resort is exercise and can be substituted for activities such as running 5 miles, completing a spin class, or doing a workout video. 


FALSE. 


FACT: This is especially false if you consume multiple cocktails during said Wii "workout".




6.)     DELUSION: Leggings are appropriate attire for almost any situation.  FAL.....  Actually, nope.  That is true.


Let's talk about #1 a little more, shall we?  I made Lemon Chicken Scallopine the other night and I served it over whole wheat pasta.  It was really good, and I've finally admitted to myself that it probably wasn't very healthy.  Oh well...I did go to spin class that day, but you know what they say about spin class and linebackers....


Anyway, it was awfully tasty!





Lemon Chicken Scallopine with a Pine Nut Parmesan Crust
Source: Adapted from Oprah Magazine


4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 cup flour
2½ tsp salt, divided
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 large eggs, lightly beaten (I didn't have eggs so I used milk and it was fine)
1½ cups dry breadcrumbs or panko (I used half panko, and half whole wheat breadcrumbs)
2 medium lemons
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup pine nuts, coarsely chopped
2 Tbs chopped fresh basil
2 Tbs butter (about)
2 Tbs extra- virgin olive oi l (about)
Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound chicken breasts between 2 pieces of waxed paper or plastic wrap until they are ¼-inch thick.
Combine flour, 1 tsp. salt, and pepper on a large plate. Put eggs on a separate plate. On a third plate, combine bread crumbs, zest from 1 lemon (about 2 tsp.), 1 tsp. salt, cheese, pine nuts, and basil. Sprinkle chicken with remaining ½ tsp. salt. Coat both sides in flour, then eggs (allowing excess to drip off), then bread crumb mixture, pressing mixture in slightly.
In a large skillet over a medium flame, heat 1 T. butter and 1 T. olive oil. When pan is hot, add 1 to 2 chicken breasts; cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden and cooked through. Remove and keep warm on a plate tented with foil. Add more butter and oil to skillet with each batch. Cut remaining unpeeled lemon into large wedges. Squeeze 2 wedges over chicken before serving and place remaining wedges on platter with chicken.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I totally laughed at your delusions!! My most recent "But it is whole wheat pasta in that cheesy gooey Mac and Cheese I just made - that means it is good for me and I should have another spoonful!"

    That chicken looks delish! Adding it to my "To try from Ann" file!

    ReplyDelete