Friday, March 11, 2011

Life Lessons Learned in Spin Class (And Pineapple Chicken Kebabs!)

I went to spin class last night (third time so far this week - I rule!), and learned a very, very important life lesson:


Spin class isn't the appropriate setting for your Hooter's uniform.  And by "your" Hooter's uniform, I really do mean that this lesson applies to OTHER people.  I don't even know where MY Hooter's uniform is.  I haven't worn it in ages!  Maybe it got too dirty after I wore it to yoga last year.  Anyway, in class last night, there was only one new girl in the whole class, and the instructor nicely shows her how to adjust the bike and reminds her that when she instructs, "turn it way up!" and then requires that you pedal as fast as you can, new girl should go easy on turning the knob or she will throw up and die.  So she gets on the bike and removes her sweatpants and sweatshirt to reveal, wait for it..... a full-on Hooter's uniform, complete with the crop top, as her attire for the day's workout!!!  Well, color me impressed!  I know it gets hot in there, and avoiding loose-fitting clothes is good so they don't get caught in the spokes, but....wow.  She just really doesn't care....I admire her guts!  However, I am baffled regarding the thought process that leads one to the decision to wear a Hooter's uniform to an intense exercise class.  And maybe she should have been concentrating more on her workout instead of her attire, as Hooter's girl left class in the middle, hyperventilating in a pool of sweat. 


I made it through the whole thing, and then ate delcious and nutricious chicken and pineapple kebabs and roasted broccoli for dinner after.  Gotta work on that Hooter's body, ya know.


I'm a huge fan of meat on a stick (or any food on a stick for that matter), and I am SO excited that grilling season is so close.  We can eat outside at the table on the deck (as opposed to hunching over coffee table, see earlier blog post), and I'll have actual NATURAL light to take my food pictures.  I can't wait!  Spring also means lots of shopping, but my husband reads this blog, so I won't elaborate on my plans....


Anywho, I loved these.  They were so simple to make and cooked in no time.  I'm excited to try wtih a bunch of different marinades and veggie combinations.  This will definitely be a staple for our warm weather menu!




Chicken and Pineapple Skewers
Source: Adapted from Clean Eating Magazine, May/June 2009, p. 50


2 green onions, chopped
2 tbsp low sodium tamari soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
1/2 pound fresh pineapple, cubed
1 tbsp agave nectar or honey

In a large bowl, whisk together onions, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger.  Add chicken and cover, marinating in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Drain chicken; discard marinade.  Skewer chicken, alternating with pineapple.  Grill until chicken is cooked through.  Serve with sauce (recipe follows)

Pineapple Sweet and Sour sauce (I didn't make the sauce and the chicken was still delicious)
1 pound fresh pineapple
zest and juice of one lime
zest and juice of one lemon
1 tbsp agave nectar or honey
1 tsp freshly ground ginger

Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until well blended, about 1 to 2 minutes.

1 comment: